It’s important to pray for those in ministry. Paul commanded the church to “pray without ceasing” (1 Thess. 5:17); Jesus asked His closest friends to pray with Him on the eve of His death (Matthew 26:36); and we are told to pray, intercede, and give thanks for all men, especially those in authority (1 Timothy 2:1-4).
But we often don’t know exactly what we are supposed to pray. After all, most missionaries live thousands of miles away, don’t have regular access to Facebook, and may even speak entirely different languages.
But our prayers are required nonetheless. The Apostle Paul even went so far as to say that there were things he could not have accomplished had the church not been praying.
So here are FOUR THINGS you can pray for missionaries, both local and around the world.
- Colossians 4:3-4: “And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains.”
- Ephesians 6:19-20: “Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.”
- 2 Thessalonians 3:1-2: “Pray for us that the message of the Lord may spread rapidly and be honored, just as it was with you. And pray that we may be delivered from wicked and evil people, for not everyone has faith.”
- Colossians 1:9: “We continually ask God to fill you with knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives.”
To summarize, here are the bullet points you can (and should) pray for missionaries on a daily basis:
- That God would open a door for their message
- That words would be given so that they would make known the gospel
- That they would declare the gospel fearlessly
- That they would declare the gospel the way it should be preached
- That the message of the Lord would spread rapidly
- That people would honor and receive the message
- That missionaries would be protected from evil men
- That God would fill them with the knowledge of His will
Pray these things daily for a dozen missionaries around the globe. And watch the world change.
(Related Post: “Two Ways to Evangelize the World“)
Great outline. Very clear and to the point. I will share this with my prayer team. Blessings.